El Niño is here. Here are a few tips to help you prepare…
What is El Niño?
El Niño is a weather pattern that is caused by a band of expanding warm water near the equator, west of Peru. The warm water forces a change in normal weather patterns, which may increase the possibility of precipitation. El Niño conditions do not "cause" individual storms but rather influence their frequency and characteristics. The size, number, and strength of these storms are a result of how all the “puzzle pieces" line up.
- Clean gutters and water drains.
- Fix any roof tiles or shingles that are abnormal.
- Clear any over-reaching tree limbs that can fall and damage your home.
- Be informed about your risk – find out if you live in a flood zone (click here). If you do, consider flood insurance.
- Have a plan – discuss family meeting places and out-of-state contacts for emergencies.
- Make a kit – put together enough water and food for at least three days. Include medications, a flashlight, battery-operated radio, and spare batteries.
- Get involved – the City holds Community Emergency Response Team trainings. Participants learn basic disaster response skills. For more information, contact Jaime Torres, Management Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 760-777-7014.
- Does the El Niño season mean there will be strong rains?
Every El Niño season is different, making it difficult to predict its impact. As a result, the amount of rainfall expected every year is a mystery.
- Will El Niño end the drought?
Although a strong El Niño might increase precipitation chances in California, it may not be enough to end long-term drought conditions.
- What can I do?
Prepare for extreme wet weather – don’t delay! To help get started, please contact our emergency services team:
Sandbags are available for La Quinta residents at the locations listed below, during business hours. Residents will be provided with ten (10) empty sandbags. Please note that sandbags are empty and must be self filled.
La Quinta City Hall: 78495 Calle Tampico. Monday - Thursday from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. City Hall is closed on weekends.
La Quinta City Yard: 78109 Avenue 52. Monday - Friday from 6 a.m. - 2 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
Fire Station 32: 78111 Avenue 52. Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
Fire Station 70: 54001 Madison Street. Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
Fire Station 93: 44555 Adams Street. Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on Weekends.
SAND FILL LOCATIONS
La Quinta City's Public Works Yard: 78109 Avenue 52. Monday - Friday from 6 a.m. - 2 p.m. Closed on weekends.
Fire Station 93: 44555 Adams Street. Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed on weekends.
For more tips or additional information, contact Jaime Torres at email@example.com or 760-777-7014.