Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q: What should I do if I want to report an issue within the City of La Quinta?
 The Public Works Department administers the City-wide GORequest System allowing you to report an issue to City staff via your smart phone or this City website. Click here for GORequest and get more information. You can also reach Public Works staff at (760) 777-7075.

In addition, our Development Services Division offers its customers, who have a question or concern regarding direction given by staff on their project, the opportunity to complete a Second Opinion Form. Once the form is completed, it can be submitted via fax to (760) 777-7155, or mailed to: City of La Quinta Public Works Department, Development Services Principal Engineer, 78-495 Calle Tampico, La Quinta, CA 92253

Q: How do I report graffiti?
A: If you notice graffiti within the City of La Quinta, please phone the Graffiti Hotline at (760) 777-7095. Be prepared to leave the following information: graffiti location, nearest cross streets, where the graffiti is located (i.e. pole, fence, wall, etc.), and contact information. You may also use the City's GORequest System to report it. 

If you own commercial property within the City of La Quinta, please complete the Authorization to Remove Graffiti from Private Commercial Property form to take advantage of the City's free commercial property graffiti removal service.

Q: How do I obtain a driveway approach permit?
A: The fee associated with this permit is $30.00.  Your Driveway Approach Permit will expire 30 days from the date you make your payment.  Please click here to download the Driveway Approach Application.  After the permit has been issued and an inspection has been requested through the Inspection Hotline (760) 777-7097, an onsite inspection will be conducted by the assigned inspector. 

Q: How do I apply for an encroachment permit?
Please download the Encroachment Permit Application. Once the application is filled out in its entirety, please submit the application in person to the Public Works counter staff, via facsimile to (760) 777-7155 or via email to and  Please note that an estimate of the work by a licensed engineer (or contract amount), a traffic control plan, and/or current certificate of liability insurance may be required as part of the permit application.  

For more information on the Encroachment Permit Process, please review the Encroachment Permit Process Flow Chart.

Q: How can I find  a "sample" plan to assist me with my project?
Most City approved plans are scanned into the Engineering Plan Archive. Some of the plans included in this archive include:

    -Storm Water Pollution Prevention
    -Precise Grading
    -PM10 Fugitive Dust Control
    -Street Improvement
    -Signing and Striping
    -Traffic Signal
    -Some Landscape

These plan sets may be accessed using the link above or through the city website.  Just type in the kind of plans you are looking for (i.e. storm drain) and the archive will display sample plans for you to view.

Q: How do I make a plan check submittal?
A: Please complete the Application for Plan/Map Check and Checklist.

Please refer to the fee schedule listed at the top of the application.  Please be advised that plan check fees are due upon plan check submittal.  The Plan Check Application is 6 pages, including: Plan Check Application, Tract Map Application, Parcel Map Application and Plan Check Submittal Checklist.  Please refer to these pages to determine what will need to be included with your submittal as well as how many copies of each item will be required.

For an overview of the plan check process, please review the Public Works Development Plan Check Process flow chart.

Q: How long does it take for a plan submittal to complete first round and subsequent rounds of the plan check process?
A: The process varies widely due to project complexity and other conditions.  The approval time for rough grading, street or precise grading plans is typically about 2 months.  High quality initial submittals and the prompt return of corrected plans from the Engineer of Record normally reduce the plan approval time.  For an overview of the plan check process, please review the Public Works Development Plan Check Process flow chart.

Q: Are all plan checks done at City Hall or are they checked by outside consultants?
The City does utilize outside consultants to assist with plan checking.  In general, the goal is for City staff to check approximately 33% of plans.

Q: Why do I need flood insurance?
A: Please visit the FEMA website for more information regarding flood insurance and the requirements.  No property in the City of La Quinta should be required to carry flood insurance.

Q: How can I find the easements on my property?
Although there are several methods for determining property easements, the Public Works Department highly recommends that you contact a licensed Land Surveyor for the most accurate easement information.  You may also view a scan of the recorded tract map (if available) in the Public Works Department's Engineering Plan Archive or obtain a title report from your preferred title company.

Q: What are the setbacks on my property?
Please contact the City's Design and Development Department/Planning Division at (760) 777-7069 for setback information.

Q: How do I gain Public Works approval for release of my building permit?
Please complete & submit a Public Works Clearance for Release of Building Permit (GREEN SHEET) form with all requested items related to the type of review being requested.  The goal for completion of the review period is 1 week after which, the submitted items will be returned to the Building Department with comments and/or an approval.

How do I set up a pre-construction meeting?
A: To set up a pre-construction meeting, please leave a message on the Inspection Request Hotline at (760) 777-7097 or call the Engineering Services Division at (760) 777-7051.  Please be prepared to provide the name of the project, tract/parcel number, permit number, location, contact information as well as the date and time of the request.

By leaving a message, you are only requesting a certain date and time.  Your meeting is not confirmed until City staff contacts you with a confirmation.

Q: How can I get a Public Works inspector out to my jobsite?
A: In order to submit an inspection request, please call the Inspection Hotline at (760) 777-7097.  Please note that the inspection line will be checked at 1:30 p.m. each day.  Any requests left prior to 1:30 p.m. will be considered for the next business day.  Inspection requests are granted on a 24 hour request basis but you are guaranteed an inspection within 48 hours.

Q: How do I find out about opportunities with the City to bid on jobs and propose on services?
A: Opportunities for bidding on jobs and proposing on services for the City are posted on the Bids & RFPs webpage.

Q: How do I find out the bid results for City projects?
id results and a list of the successful bidder's sub-contractors can be found on the Bid on Jobs web page.

Q: How to I get copies of the plans and specifications for City projects that are out to bid?
Click on the project you are interested in from our Bid on Jobs page, this will take you to the “PlanWell Enterprises” site where you can view and purchase plans and/or specifications.

Q: How do I get in touch with the local utility companies?
Click on Utility Company Contact List for this information

Q: What are some of the commonly used acronyms used in Public Works?
Commonly Used Acronyms used in Public Works



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer