Code Compliance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Code Enforcement During COVID-19 

Important Notice: 

Code Compliance is providing full service but is experiencing a significant increase in calls for service so there are some delays in conducting inspections and returning calls. 

If you have a concern with a Short-Term Vacation Rental specific to a guest staying at the property in violation of the STVR limited shut down (Executive Order #7) please call 760-777-7050 during regular business hours or submit a complaint online by clicking here. If the concern is for any other issue at a STVR such as noise, over-occupancy, etc. please call the STVR hotline at 760-777-7157 24/7 to report those issues.  Code Compliance continues to follow up on every complaint at a STVR.


  • The is a non-essential business open, who should I call? Call Code at 760-777-7050 and provide the address and name of the business.
  • I noticed a restaurant is offering dine-in services, should I report it? Yes, please call Code at 760-777-7050 and provide the address and name of the business.
  • I went to the grocery store and noticed they are not enforcing social distancing, who should I call?  Call Code at 760-777-7050 and provide the address and name of the business.


  • I received an Administrative (or Parking Citation) and I would like to pay it, how do I submit the payment? You can make your payment online at or by calling 1-800-989-2058
  • I would like to appeal my citation, what do I need to do: Please follow the instructions in the back of your citation and submit all documentation requested within 21 days of the date of your citation. If you have any questions, please call 1-800-989-2058

Short Term Vacation Rentals

  • Who do I call to report an occupied Short-Term Vacation Rental (STVR)? Please call Code Compliance at 760-777-7050, send an email to, or use the online complaint form. Please make sure to provide an accurate address for the STVR.  Keep in mind, that STVRs can house essential workers and people that need to isolate in a separate unit.  City staff will investigate to determine whether the STVR is following the city orders. 

  • I think there are too many guests staying at a STVR, should I report it? Yes, please call the STVR Hotline at 760-777-7157 and report the property.

  • There is a party at STVR rental, should I report it? Yes, please call the STVR Hotline at 760-777-7157 or call the Non-Emergency Sheriff’s number: 760-836-3215

  • I’m concerned there should not be guests at the STVR near my house, who can I call.  Please call Code Compliance at 760-777-7050

Police Reports and Tickets

  • I would like to request a La Quinta police report, who do I call? Call La Quinta Non-Emergency Sheriff’s number: 760-836-3215

  • I need to get a traffic ticket signed off, where do I go? Call the Sheriff’s Thermal Station: (760) 863-8990 or the CHP Office in Indio at (760) 772-5300 to request an appointment. 

Animal Control

  • I would like to adopt a pet, where should I go: You may visit Riverside County Department of Animal Services’ website and review their online adoption page. Or call their shelter at 760-343-3644 to make arrangements.

  • I lost my dog, what should I do: Visit Riverside County Department of Animal Services’ website, it offers several resources including a registry of recovered animals.

  • There is a dead animal in the middle of the road, who should I call? Call Animal Control at 760-343-3644. Please provide them an exact location.

  • My dog license is about to expire, can I renew it online? Yes, please visit:

Code Enforcement

The Code Compliance Division works in partnership with the citizens and businesses in La Quinta to promote and maintain a safe and pleasing environment in which to live, work and visit.  This is achieved through community involvement, education and enforcement of Municipal Code regulations. 

What is a violation?

Code Compliance administers an enforcement program that investigates and corrects violations of the City’s Municipal Codes that govern the use and maintenance of private, residential property and commercial property. Code Compliance also investigates and conducts inspections involving vehicle abatement, blight and nuisance, vector control, weed abatement, unsafe, illegal or unlicensed construction or conversions, and illegal dumping. Residents living in private communities may consult their homeowners’ association for property maintenance issues.

 Here are examples of some of the code violations that we investigate:

Vehicles – Vehicles can be parked on the street or in public view for 72 consecutive hours. Vehicles must be licensed and operational. Inoperable vehicles on private or public property must be parked out of public view and on an improved surface.

Parking in yards – Vehicles may not be parked on the lawn or dirt. Vehicles can be parked in your driveway if they are licensed and operational.

Landscaping – Landscaping shall be continuously maintained in a healthy and viable condition. An irrigation system shall be provided for all areas required to be landscaped.

Lot abatement – Vacant lots are to be free of trash, debris and dry vegetation. 

Trash Container Storage – Trash containers shall be stored out of public view in a side or rear yard or an enclosed garage except on pickup day.

Trash and Debris – Lumber, refuse, abandoned, discarded or unused objects or equipment such as furniture and appliances, cannot be visible from the public right-of-way nor be stored as to constitute a health or safety hazard. Burrtec provides weekly bulky item pickup by appointment only. Schedule a pickup by calling Burrtec at (760) 340-2113.

Unsecured/abandoned pools – Any swimming pool, spa or other body of water shall be behind a secured area and shall be maintained in a manner to prevent polluted water.

Parking and Storage of Recreational Vehicles (RVs) in Residentially Zoned Properties - STREET PARKING: No RV shall be parked or stored for more than 72 consecutive hours or for a combined total exceeding 72 hours during any seven day period, at any public street location or combination of public street locations within the City.

RC ZONE: RVs may be parked in the front, side or rear yards of residential properties provided the area in which it is parked is an improved surface that must extend to the width and length of the RV.

RVL, RL, AND RM ZONES: RVS may be stored or parked in a side or rear yard provided that a lawfully installed and permanently maintained solid wall or fence six feet in height screens such RV from abutting property and public view on an improved surface that must extend to the width and length of the RV.

What is not a violation?

Code Compliance does not handle neighbor disputes or civil problems involving one individual against another that do not violate public law. Examples of civil issues are fencing repair disputes; overhanging tree branches (when one neighbor’s trees or plants drop leaves, debris or cause damage to another's property or fence); over-watering of lawns; and enforcement of private conditions, covenants and restrictions.

How to report a code violation

You may file a complaint by filing out a Report of City Code Violation form in person at the Code Compliance counter at 78-495 Calle Tampico, or fax it to us at (760) 777-7155.  If you have questions whether a violation has occurred, call our office at (760) 777-7050. You will be asked to provide:
  • Location of possible code violation - provide street name and number;
  • Provide the type of code violation, complaint or nuisance;
  • Give specific information of complaint – provide a description of make, model, license of vehicles involved, type of debris, location of nuisance on property, etc.;
  • Provide your name, address and telephone number – Your identity will not be disclosed unless required by law

 Permit Administration

The Code Compliance Division oversees the issuance and inspections for a number of permits including: Home Occupation of a Business, Garage Sale Permit, Coachella Valley Massage Therapist Permit, Film Permit, Handbill Distribution Permit, Pool Draining Permit, and Soliciting or Peddling Permit.

Each Friday at 5:00 p.m. we post the current week's garage sale permits.  Click here to view the Garage Sales page.

How to reach us


78-495 Calle Tampico
La Quinta, CA  92253

Public counter assistance    

Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Phone (760) 777-7050
Fax (760) 777-7155
E-mail Code Compliance


Download the GORequest mobile app and report a code violation using your smart phone.  

Click to fill-out form: Report of City Code Violations

Related links:

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer